Continuous intravenous infusion set, with two 'Soluvac' 1200 ml flasks

Maker
1. C Wallace Ross
2. Ian J Wood
3. Elliott Brothers Limited (estab. Unknown, closed 1930)
Date
Pre 1939
Description
Soluvac transfusion apparatus consisting of a Soluvac blood transfusion flask of 1200 mils. capacity which has a swivel wire handle at the base so the container can be hung to drip. Attached to the bottle is a length of rubber hose with two glass bulbs attached at spaced intervals. One of the bulbs has a metal fitting held in place by springs and to the fitting a filter is attached. A cannula is attached at the end of the hose.

This apparatus was developed just before the 1939 to 1945 war by Wood and Ross for continuous transfusion and was modified from the sealed gravity infusion sets first produced in America. This became the mass-produced transfusion set used with such great effect by the Australian armed forces. The "SOLUVAC" system was used for all forms of intravenous infusions in addition to blood. With the development of sealed bottles, storage of blood became a practical proposition. It was used extensively in the Spanish Civil War in 1938. Later both wet and dry serum were used in emergency in place of blood. With modifications the principles embodied in the system are still in use.
See full details

Object detail

Other Maker
Dr Ian J Wood
Elliott Brothers Limited (estab. Unknown, closed 1930) ▫ valve
Date
Medium
glass, plated-metal, steel, other metals, rubber, cotton
Measurements
25.5 x 68.0 x 12.5 cm (apparatus)
Accession Number
MHM00158
Credit line
Previously The University of Melbourne Collection, gift of Dr Murray L Verso (1916-2010), 1967
Inscriptions
name/inscriptions ▫ on side: 'SOLUVAC/BLOOD TRANSFUSION FLASK/TOTAL CAPACITY 1200 MLS' ▫ flasks
maker's mark ▫ on base: around circumference, 'ELLIOTS STERILE SOLUTIONS', and inside this, 'SOLUVAC/5' ▫ flasks
maker's mark ▫ around top edge: 'SOLUVAC/PAT APP FOR' ▫ flask lid 1
accession number/owner's mark/inscriptions ▫ on top edge: 'MU 104/69' ▫ flask lid 1
maker's mark ▫ at centre top: 'SOLUVAC' ▫ flask lid 1
accession number/owner's mark/inscriptions ▫ on hanging band: 'MU 104/69' ▫ flask 2
accession number/owner's mark/inscriptions ▫ on base: '160' ▫ flask 2
accession number/owner's mark/inscriptions ▫ on base: '158.3' ▫ flask 1
accession number/owner's mark/inscriptions ▫ on tube, below lid: '158.2' ▫ filter
maker's mark ▫ on side of valve: 'ELLIOTS' ▫ other attachments
maker's mark ▫ on top, at centre: 'SOLUVAC/PAT APP FOR' ▫ flask lid 2
displays/inscriptions ▫ ''SOLVAC' TRANSFUSION APPARATUS/The apparatus for continuous transfusion was developed just before/the 1939-45 war by Wood and Ross and was modified from the/sealed gravity feed infusion sets first produced in America. This/became the mass-produced set used to transfuse all fluids by the/Australian Armed Forces./Sealed bottles enabled blood to be stored and, thereby, blood was/available during the Spanish Civil war in 1938./Later, in emergency, both wet and dry serum were used in place of/blood./The principles embodied in the system are still in use./One bottle is set up for taking blood and one for giving./Presented by Dr M. Verso.' ▫ display card
Object Type
Medical History Museum Category

Share

My shortlist

Explore other objects by colour

Do you know something about this object?

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.