Photographs of dental hospital sites, Melbourne
1. Secull & Son
2. William John Tuckfield (b.1888, d.1969)
Nine assorted photographs of buildings and sites associated with the Royal Dental Hospital and Australian College of Dentistry, including those on Lonsdale, Spring, and Elizabeth Streets. See parts listing for details:
(.1) The Australian College of Dentistry and The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne before its opening in May. B&W photograph of the Grattan St facade of the 'new building' at 711 Elizabeth Street, taken by Secull & Son (builders).
(.2) 239 Lonsdale St. B&W reproduction photograph of 239 Lonsdale St, taken by Dr William J. Tuckfield, originally c. 1890-1892. Black and white photograph of the former Dental Hospital.
(.3) Lonsdale Street looking East, 1868. A reproduction detail from a photograph looking east on Lonsdale Street, 1868. The first dental hospital was accommodated in a flat over Gorton's Horse and Carriage Bazaar, shown. From a photo held in the Archives.
(.4) The Dental Hospital, 239 Lonsdale Street. Melbourne Dental Hospital and College at 239 Lonsdale St. Photographic copies of the former Melbourne Dental Hospital, 1894 - 97. The college sign was probably added in the latter of these years once the next move was known. By courtesy of Mr R. A. Cooper.
(.5) The former Australian College of Dentistry and Melbourne Dental Hospital, 189-191 Lonsdale Street, 1950s. Two sepia copies of a 1950s photo of 189-191 Lonsdale St, with notes by Dr William J. Tuckfield. The Australian College of Dentistry and the Hospital moved into this building at 189-191 Lonsdale Street in 1897. A description of the premises from an official valuation a few years later reads "a three storey brick building consisting of a ground floor of the two shops 14' X 15' with a central passage way with stairs. First floor flat 30' x 55' divided into four rooms. Second floor flat of three rooms. One shop vacant. Rest of building occupied by College and Hospital. Valued at 2,300 pounds."
(.6) The 'new' Melbourne Dental Hospital and The Australian College of Dentistry, Spring Street, 1907. Two photographic copies of a sketch of the hospital and college building at Spring Street. The College owned the building and let certain accommodation to the Hospital for its clinical activities. During the early years the shops were let to local traders and later to a dental supply house, DeTrey Brothers, which was a most useful source of income. Printed in ‘The Proceedings of the Australian Dental Congress Melbourne 1907’.
(.7) Site of the Royal Dental Hospital Melbourne, 1954. Colour photograph of the site of the Royal Dental Hospital Melbourne 1954, taken from the Royal Melbourne Hospital looking south. Mounted on black card, with typed label. Donated by Dr David Watson.
(.8) The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne New Building, c. 1963. B&W photo of Flemington Road facade of The Royal Melbourne Dental Hospital.
(.9) The Royal Dental Hospital of Melbourne New Building, c. 1963. B&W photo of Grattan Street facade of The Royal Melbourne Dental Hospital.
See full details
(.2) 22.0 x 12.5 cm;
(.3, .6)) 20.5 x 25.5 cm;
(.4, .5) 25.5 x 20.5 cm;
(.7) 17.0 x 20.0 cm;
(.8) 16.5 x 24.0 cm
(.4.5) 39.2 x 29.7 cm