Old Medical School building (1864) in the 1870s, with artificial lake
Photographic block for block printing. Subject consists of a view of the Old Medical School building in the 1870s, with artificial lake.
Used in 'Speculum', p.5.
Black and white photograph of Melbourne Medical School’s first building,which was situated on the north-eastern part of the campus. The building was across the lake that dominated this area of the early University Campus. The building was completed in May 1864, designed by Messrs Reed and Barnes.It was built by M.W. Chard at a cost of 5,356.5.4 pounds. After 1885, when anatomy and pathology moved to the new medical building alongside, it became the physiology department. The second story was added in stages in 1900,1905, and in 1913 when the portico was demolished. The building was demolished in 1970.
See full details