Illuminated address presented to Geneviève Ward
The American actress Genevieve Ward (1837-1922) visited Melbourne in 1885 and gave the proceeds of two performances of Antigone to the Women's Hospital for the construction of a new Midwifery Department. The new Midwifery Block in Cardigan Street was named after her in gratitude for her contribution.
Text at the front of the document reads:
"Presented to Miss Genevieve Ward in grateful remembrance of her generosity to the Women's Hospital of Melbourne. November 6th 1885". The certificate is highly detailed and intensely coloured, it is followed by 3 pages of subscribers names, each page with a decorative border. The certificate is mounted and along with the subscriber pages bound in a red leather cover. The cover has gold embossed lettering, blue and brown decorative areas.
Miss Ward is recorded as a Life Governor in the 1886 Annual Report. Her donation was 2,521 pounds 14 shillings and 9 pence.
See full details