Coat of arms: "The Royal Women's Hospital, Melbourne"

Cast aluminium plaque with coloured enamel finish This design was derived from the City of Melbourne's crest and was first used by the Hospital in 1951. The design was slightly adapted in 1954 when "Royal" was added to the Hospital's name. Several of these plaques were made and were, for example, fixed to the podium in the Yvonne Bowden Auditorium. The date of manufacture of this plaque is unknown, although what may be the date 19/9/79 is cast on the back. Its use was discontinued in 1993 when a new design was adopted.

A description of the Amorial Bearings design was published in the hospital 'Bulletin' in October 1969 and reads as follows: "Granted by Royal warrant under the Seals of the Garter Clarenceux and Norry Kings of Arms, Thirtieth Day of January in the Fourth year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the Sixth in the year of our Lord One thousand nine hundred and forty. ARMORIAL BEARINGS OF THE CORPORATION: Argent on a cross scottished Gules between in the first quarter a Fleece proper banded Azure ringed of the second in the second quarter on Waves of the Sea a Whale naiant in the third quarter on a Mount a Bull statant and in the fourth quarter on Waves of the Sea a three-mastered Ship in full sail a representation of the Imperial Crown all also proper. And for the Crest on a Wreath of the colours A Demis Kangaroo to the sinister reguardant proper, together with the Motto "VIRES ACQUIRIT EUNDO".

The women's crest does not have the Kangaroo or Latin motto, instead it bears the title "Melbourne" and the "Royal Womens Hospital" below the bearings.
See full details

Object detail

aluminium, enamel paint
39.5 x 25.5 cm
Accession Number
Object Type
Medical History Museum Category


My shortlist

Explore other objects by colour

Do you know something about this object?

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.