American Cystoscope Makers Inc (estab. 1908)
Circa 1960-Circa 1970
Endoscopic equipment in a stainless steel case called a soaking or rinsing dish. Instruments that were too sensitive for autoclaving were soaked in disinfectant and then rinsed thoroughly; a pre-gas sterilisation process. The instruments include a type of viewing telescope with a lens at one end with a plastic eyepiece, a long shaft to which a small light bulb is attached to aid visualisation. The instrument was used to inspect the bladder for tumours or disease. The second instrument is similar to the other but was used for uretic catheterisation, the instrument assisted with the insertion of small rubber tubes. This type of endoscope was replaced in the late 1960s with a laparoscope, they were essentially used until fibre optics started to replace batteries. The instruments were used by Mr Kennedy, Chief Urologist particularly in the new theatres, circa 1968.
The instruments are lying on a bed of gauze and include: 1 x endoscope, 1 x cystoscope, a small extra fitting (purpose unknown), 2 x extra light globes, 2 x small silver washers and 5 x rubber washers. The cystoscope is engraved: "AMERICAN CYSTOSCOPE MAKERS / INC /NY" on the neck of the instrument, the light bulbs are "NATIONAL BRAND". The stainless steel case is engraved on the lid and base: "X RAY DEPARTMENT / RWH". There is a yellow tag in the tin with text in red ink : "DO NOT TOUCH / PROPERTY OF X RAY DEPARTMENT / CYSTOSCOPE SHEATH IS OUT FOR REPAIR".
See full details