1. V. Mueller & Co. (estab. Circa 1900)
2. W Watson & Sons (estab. 1837, closed 1969)
Three electrode instruments for electrotherapy treatments, comprised of ebonite and steel. The third electrode (.c) was used to coagulate the heamorrhoidal tissue, has an ebonite handle and is connected to a long rubber cord which attaches to an electrotherapy machine.
Although the history of using electricity to treat patients dates back to Johann Gottlob Krüger in 1743, it was popularised by Golding Bird at Guy's Hospital in the mid 19th century. It has been used to treat a variety of ailments, ranging from muscle stimulation, increasing blood circulation, management of pain, wound healing and drug delivery.
See full details
21.7 x 1.5 cm (.b) (dimensions irreg.);
31.5 x 100.6 cm x 1.7 cm (.c) (dimensions irreg.)