University of Melbourne's First Medical School building
Black and white photograph of Melbourne University's first Medical School building, c.1913. The photograph was taken when it no longer had a patio and an extra floor had been added. The portico was removed in 1916.
Melbourne Medical School’s first building, was situated on the north-eastern part of the campus across the lake from the rest of the University. The building was completed in May 1864, designed by Messrs Reed and Barnes who also designed Ormond College, the Baldwin Spencer Building and the original Wilson Hall, as well as the State Library and the Melbourne Town Hall. After 1885, when the new medical building of Anatomy and Pathology was built adjacent to it, it became the Physiology department. The second storey was added in stages in 1900,1905, and in 1913 the portico was demolished. The building was demolished in 1970.
See full details