Medallion with plaque: Ernest Joske Oration awarded to Dr James Monahan Lewis (1880-1968)
Andor Mészáros (b.1900, d.1972)
With a cast bronze profile of the head of Ernest Joske. Mounted on a wooden base below which is a small brass plate engraved with the name of the recipient and the year of the oration. Awarded to Dr James Monahan Lewis (1880-1968) who delivered the fourth oration in 1946.
Dr James Monahan-Lewis - In the 1920s Council agreed to establish a Chair of Dental Science, chose Dr Frank C Wilkinson of Liverpool who commenced as Dean early 1925. Dr J Monahan-Lewis a local dentist and a keen research worker, and was highly thought of by the Joint Selection Committee, according to a report in the Dental Journal. A proposal of the Professor with further ideas was put forward in a motion
by Dr J Monahan-Lewis in 1926 that a sub-committee of the Council be appointed to consider the removal of the College and Hospital to a site within the University grounds. The Committee was known as "The Transfer to the University Committee".
Dr James Monahan-Lewis was a specialist Periodontist, and worked at the Australian College of Dentistry, and the Royal Melbourne Hospital.
See full details
(base) 8.5 x 8.5 cm