Old Medical School Building (1864), University of Melbourne
C. Nettleton (estab. 1858, closed 1890)
Sepia photograph of the Medical School building showing front façade. Sky above the building has been retouched with pale blue water colour.
Melbourne Medical School’s first building was situated on the north-eastern part of the campus across the lake from the rest of the University. The building was completed in May 1864, designed by Messrs Reed and Barnes who also designed Ormond College, the Baldwin Spencer Building and the original Wilson Hall, as well as the State Library and the Melbourne Town Hall. After 1885, when the new medical building of Anatomy and Pathology was built alongside, it became the Physiology department. The second storey was added in stages in 1900 and 1905, and in1913 the portico was demolished. The whole building was demolished in 1970.
See full details
verso, in pencil: 'No 7?/ 2'
verso, in ink: 'S IX/6/Medical School/about 1870'