The 'Old' (1864) and the 'New' Medical School,'Old Pathology' (1886) buildings at the University of Melbourne
Black and white photographs of the 'Old' (1864) and the 'New' Medical School, 'Old Pathology' (1886) buildings at the University of Melbourne, c.1890.
Melbourne Medical School’s first building was situated on the north-eastern part of the campus across the lake from the rest of the University. The building was completed in May 1864, designed by Messrs Reed and Barnes who also designed Ormond College, the Baldwin Spencer Building and the original Wilson Hall, as well as the State Library and the Melbourne Town Hall. After 1885, when the new Medical Building of Anatomy and Pathology was built alongside it, the building became the Physiology department. The second storey was added in stages in 1900 and 1905, and in 1913 the portico was demolished. The building was demolished in 1970.
In 1885 a new building was erected for the Medical School, the Anatomy and Pathology Building, later nicknamed 'Old Pathology'. The architects were Reed Henderson and Stuart. The building originally housed the State morgue in the cellar at the north end of the building and the dissection room was on the first floor. The building is now called the Elisabeth Murdoch Building.
See full details
mounted and framed photograph
41.7 x 48.6 cm (frame size, MHM00450.2)
21.8 x 26.8 cm (mount size, MHM00450.2)
Do you know something about this object?
Be the first to comment on this object record.